Host of MLB Network's Clubhouse Confidential (a show dedicated to the "thinking fan", or sabermetrics) Brian Kenny in his opening segment "High Heat" listed the teams he thinks had the best offseason Tuesday evening. The Rays were notably absent from the list, which named the Top 8 and goes:
- #8 Atlanta Braves - Kenny noted their extensions for players they already have, like Kimbrel.
- #7 Kansas City Royals - He noted they signed Omar Infante and traded Will Smith for Norichika Aoki.
- #6 Chicago White Sox - He said he applauded the additions of Eaton, Abreu and Davidson.
- #5 St. Louis Cardinals - He praised the additions of Peralta and Bourjos.
- #4 New York Yankees - He praised letting Cano walk and signing McCann, Ellsbury, Tanaka and Beltran.
- #3 Texas Rangers - Noted the additions of Choo and Fielder.
- #2 Washington Nationals - He praised the additions of Doug Fister.
- #1 Oakland Athetics - He applauded addition of Kazmir and Gentry. Also praised the addition of bullpen pieces of Johnson, Gregerson and O'Flaherty.
And Spector is right, the Rays were right to wait for their deal, and when it didn't materialize, keep him (apparently) for one more season. I wrote last month that Rays have the chance to be great with Price, I still believe that.
What do you think, should the Rays have traded Price? Did they belong on Kenny's list? If so, where?