Early last week, the Rays 2013 schedule was released. It's preliminary schedule, so things could change, but let's take a look at what we have for now.
Here are some of the things I noticed:
- The Rays open at home for fourth straight year and the third time against the O's.
- The first road trip is on April 8th through 18th and takes us to Arlington, Boston and Balitmore before the Rays return home to the Trop on the 19th to meet the A's.
- The Astros join the American League in 2013, and the first time we see the AL's Astros is on July 1st when the Rays travel to Minute Made Park in Houston for a 4-game set with the 'stros. The Astros come to Tropicana Field July 12th through 14th heading in to the All-Star Break (the 2013 All-Star Game will be at Citi Field in NYC).
- With the teams being evened out to 15 teams per league in 2013, it required an interleage series to be happening all season. The Rays will be part of that at certain points next year. The Rays face 6 NL opponents next year.
- The Rays first interleague opponent will be the Rockies and the Rays will travel to Coors Field in Denver for this series. The Rays last visited Denver in 2009. The 3-game series in 2009, lasting June 16th through 18th, ended with the Rays taking the first game and the Rockies taking the last two. The Rays series against the Rockies in 2013 happens May 3rd through 5th, again in Denver.
- The second NL opponent are the Padres who come to Tropicana May 10th through 13th.
- Third is the annual Citrus Series with the Marlins. First the Marlins come to the Trop for a 2-game set May 27th & 28th and then they immediately hop on a bus and head south to Miami for a two-game set at Marlins Park the 29th and 30th. Maybe they can travel together?
- The Rays don't see the NL again until the end of July when they welcome the Diamondbacks to the Trop. The series is a 2-game set happening July 30th and 31st. The last time the D-Backs were at the Trop in 2010, we got no-hit by Edwin Jackson. The Rays will also travel to Arizona to meet the D-Backs for a 2 game set at Chase Field August 6th & 7th.
- Following the D-Backs to the Trop are the Giants who will be there August 2nd through 4th for a 3-game set.
- The Rays final NL opponent of 2013 will be the Dodgers. The Rays will travel to Dodger Stadium for the first time in franchise history August 9th through 11th for a 3-game set in LA. This is the series I'm personally looking forward to the most in 2013.
- The Rays will start the proverbial second half of the season after the All-Star Break with a 3-game set in Toronto from July 19th to the 21st.
- We see Boston the first time on April 12th and the last time on September 12th.
- We see the Yankees the first time on April 22nd and the last time on September 26th.
- Rays close out the season at home on September 23rd against the O's.
- The 2013 season will end for the Rays on the road north of the border in Toronto on September 29th.
Here's the full schedule:
What do you think of the Rays 2013 schedule? What series are you looking forward to the most? Let us know in the comment section.