Jeff Neimann — Courtesy: Tampa Bay Times
- Today is Opening Day for the 2012 MLB season. Though the Rays don't start the season til April 6th, the Mariners and A's, however, start their 2012 campaign today. They start a 2-game series against one another this morning, yes this morning. Did I mention that the series will take place in the Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan? Cause it is. They will play these two regular seasons games then return to Spring Training games for two days before resuming their 2012 campaign. The first game started this morning at 6:10am ET. Today's game will air on delay on MLB Network at 9am. Tomorrow's game will take place at 5:10am ET. This game will again air on delay on MLB Network at 9am. [MLB]
- Who's the winner of the Dodgers Sweepstakes? Why no one other than Magic Johnson. He's bought the team for a cool $2 billion. Yes that's "billion" with a "b". Making the most expensive sports purchase in the history of sports. [ESPN]
- Evan Longoria revealed in a recent interview that a Rays player gave up on "Game 162" in the fifth inning and started packing his locker up. Silly him. Longo never reveals who that player was, but some educated guesses could be made, and that's what Cork Gaines of Rays Index does. [Rays Index]
- Though it could change during the season, come opening day Jeff Neimann will have that fifth spot in the Rays starting pitching rotation, sending Wade Davis to the 'pen. Joe called it one of the toughest decisions he's ever had to make. [BHSN]
- The Tufano family (the family of the man Matt Bush ran over in Brandon Guyer's SUV) are planning civil suits against BOTH Bush and Guyer. In other news, the sky is blue. [Tampa Bay Times]
- Want to relive "Game 162" through other fans' eyes? Thanks to this eBook, you can! [Baseball's Starry Night]
This concludes today's "News Cap". Have a great day, everyone!